Sunday, September 1, 2013

Getting to Granada,Spain with a little hustle and bustle

Long story short:

- Dropped off by my family (Mom, Dad & Adrienne) in Madison,WI to catch a bus at 1:15pm to Chicago.
- 3 hours later I got into the Chicago O'Hare Airport and dropped off my suitcase, which the night before I had to lessen the load by at LEAST 13lbs to make the limit
- Got through security no problem and found my gate
- I got a Mac Don's burger because who knows when I get one of those bad boys again?!
- 1 hour before my flight...IT STARTS STORMING BAD! Black clouds rolled in really fast, rain started pouring by the gallons, and a few gates over there was something bellowing out smoke. The trip took a turn for the worst.
- This was my nightmare. I hate flying.
          - Delayed an hour
- The lady next to me on the plane didn't speak English or Spanish. It was 8.5 hours of silence, movies, music, and reading.
- Finally we landed in London, but because we were an hour behind, they gave the people who were late for their connecting flights this little orange pass for the 'express security lane' and told us "Run as fast as you possibly can to terminal 5. It's on the other side of the airport!!!!!"
- You're kidding me
- Busted my butt with a 40 lbs backpack and one shoulder, and a beach bag plum full on the other for what felt like three miles to security and to terminal 5.
- Got onto my flight for Madrid which, by the way, didn't have air conditioning on at the time
- I was sweating everywhere and had only slept for four hours
- The guy next to me was in college visiting family in Malaga and wouldn't leave me alone, but fortunately I passed out mid conversation, in the most uncomfortable position, for those next two hours.

- This next part was THE hardest thing I've had to in my life.

- Woke up, got off the plane and I was suppose to find the Metro subway. (p.s. I've NEVER been on a subway at this point before, EVER in my life)
- A Russian girl my age came up to me in line with three tickets to the Metro for the day (kind of sketchy) but I trusted her and we got through the gate!!!!! She was traveling on a miniature vacation between semesters of studying Spanish! We talked on the subway and she was absolutely charming.
- We got off the line and had to to part ways. But I was suppose to find another line to catch.I COULDN'T FIND IT FOR THE LIFE OF ME!
- I cried for the first time of many more to come, and asked about three people for help, in Spanish, and they all replied with different way to go to find this line.
- Finally I tracked down two women (one was definitely intoxicated or under the influence) and they told me that they were catching the same subway line too!
- So I followed the high lady and her friend to an elevator, and for a split second I thought I may get jumped. I then said a quick prayer, too nervous to try to say it in Spanish.
- They did in fact get me onto the right subway line, and they prodded me to get off where there was SUPPOSE to be the bus station I was looking for.
- THERE WAS NO BUS STATION!
- I walked up and out of the underground subway with all of my things (suit case, backpack and bag) down the street, almost ready to cry for the third time when I found the station. Hallelujah!!!
- Bought my ticket to the next bus going out to Granada, and my next instructions were to call my semester tour guide through the study abroad program.
- Couldn't find a pay phone so I asked some young girl (I think it was a girl) and she dialed the number for me and graciously let me use her phone.
- FINALLY found my bus to Granada, and five long hours later, saw a strange guy holding a "SOL Study Abroad" sign. He picked me up and took me to my host mother's house!
- Done and finally "home" after 30 hours of travel.
- I found my bed, slept for twelve straight hours and woke up to lunch with my host family and new study abroad roommate. We ate traditional Spanish Paella and now it is siesta time!!

My room for the next 3.5 months:



3 comments:

  1. "The word 'adventure' has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong-- that's when the adventure begins." - Yvon Chouinard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely an adventure in the words of Mr. Chouinard then!! I'm happy it all went wrong in the end, because now I know even at the lowest and most scary point I can make it through!

      Delete