Sunday, September 8, 2013

A typical day as a student in Granada, Spain

- Breakfast: toast & jam every morning at 8:15am. Our host mama is sweet as pie and makes us a little cup of french pressed espresso then goes back to bed. I'm a big breakfast gal so this toast thing, in the words of my father "ain't enough for a rat to eat". 

- Class: After a 20-25 minute walk to our University, I have class from 9am-1pm. This month is our "intensive" class and after 3 more weeks we change classes up. My main man Javier is so goofy and really funny! From the first day you could tell he just LOVES teaching, that's rare to find these days. A different teacher comes in for the last hour, her name is Pilar and she's a clever little lady.

This is my morning walk to class























- Lunch: I am starved until 2:30pm-3:30pm when we eat a MASSIVE lunch. The first day here we had traditional Spanish paella (lots of rice, veggies & meat almost like a casserole) and my host mama heaped about 6lbs of this stuff onto my plate. Paella is so delicious but I could have been buried by the amount she gave me! After the main meal we have "postre" which is spanish for dessert. Fruit, yogurt or pudding have been our usual suspects.

This is a traditional Spanish dish: Torta Espanola or Frittata. It's  simply egg & potato.



- SIESTA: Take a little napski and relax while most stores & businesses shut down until about 5:30pm then reopen for about three hours. During this time I usually roll around on my bed so uncomfortably full of food and catch up talking to everyone back home. From lunch until dinner it is basically free time for me. I don't have practice, don't have a job here and there isn't a whole lot of homework that we get. Relaxation station..

- Workout: Back home I can eat whatever the heck I want because I always had a 2 hour practice filled with sprints, running drills, tackling, stupid burpees and all this after our initial "let's begin practice with a 2-3 mile run where we all just race each other" run. So here I am learning to not HATE running so I don't gain like 60lbs. After a run each day I am basically trying to be the female Jason Statham in my tiny room here doing some squats, push ups and other "prison like" workouts.

- Dinner: LATE....like between 9pm-11pm. We usually have a pasta salad, a soup or maybe a smaller sandwich. My roommate Molly & I really really REALLY lucked out. Our host mama loves to cook and we've been here over a week without a repeated meal! Last night we had our first "ehhh" meal but we were both raised to not be picky and just eat it anyway. Bow tie noodles, pieces of fruit like pineapple, mango, apples, peach, and imitation crab meat all glazed with a sweet mayo sauce....."ehh".

- Week nights: Molly & I usually stay in and hang out, Skype people and do some social media. Pretty simple, pretty laid back.

- WEEKENDS ARE INSANE

- Tapas:  This is a tradition that is only alive in only a few cities in Spain! Luckily...Granada hooks us up real nice. You go out for a drink (wine, beer or juice) and most bars/cafes here bring you out free tapas. These are little sample sized portions of different food such as black & green olives, potato salad, bread kind of like appetizer foods. You get a drink & a small portion of delicious munchies for about 2-3 euro ($3-$4). Tapas are traditionally from 9pm-1am ish

Some of the delicious tapas in Granada!













   My roomie Molly is the smiley blonde! We went out with a few girls in the program for tapas and some "Tinto de Verano" - sweet red wine & clear soda!

- Bars: "Chupiterio" = shot bar, shots for 1 euro. From there, my pals and I have found a few discotecas  and we dance until the sun comes up. Seriously though. Clubs here are open til 6am!!!!!!! Molly & I then either cab it or walk home and sleep until lunch the next day. Spainards party hard so I'm doing my part as a Wisconsin girl here in Spain, it's in my heritage.


- Sundays are for sleeping off the hangovers, going to church and then sleeping some more.

          So that's a typical day in Granada. Wooof.

No comments:

Post a Comment