Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A sangria filled adventure over to Lagos, Portugal


- LAGOS, PORTUGAL

A few of my pals and I decided to book a last minute trip to Lagos, Portugal through a program called Discover Excursions. We left at 6am the next morning, for an 8 hour trek to the gorgeous South West coastline of Portugal. We made a stop a few hours into the bus ride to pick up about 100 other college students from Sevilla, Spain. Molly and I got the privilege to sit behind the rudest girls I have even had to encounter. They extended their seats back so far Molly & I barely squeezed through to our own seats. So for about 4-5 more hours I basically had this self-absorbed girl's head on my lap. Does everyone remember Snookie from Jersey Shore? Yes, it was a smaller version of Snookie. Everyone arrived in Lagos and we checked into an awesome hotel with a 30 second walk to the beach!! The program we booked through is really geared toward college students and the trip leaders were SUCH a blast to hang out with. They also had free sangria every day!! So about 100-130 college students hung out on this amazing beach for a few hours and then partied in Lagos later that night.



The program provides wristbands that include 2 free drinks at a local club close to the hotel. Our group from Granada stopped at a bar called "Black Cat" (THE NAME OF THE BEST AND MY MOST FAVORITE RUGBY TEAM BACK IN MINNESOTA!!) and after I told them all about my awesome Kitties back home, the bartenders gave me a bunch of stickers promoting the bar! From there....the night went on and on. We all got home safely and met SO many new friends from Sevilla! I participated in a pushup contest wearing a maxi dress; all thanks to some liquid courage.

We all had a real rough morning but the hotel breakfast was one of the trip highlights. In my last post, I described breakfast in Granada as toast and coffee, which doesn't even put a dent in my morning hunger. At the hotel, we gorged ourself in a heavy american (rid-the-hangover) breakfast: sandwiches and pastries and fruit and orange juice and cereal and yummmmmmm. Seriously though, one of the best moments on the trip.

The second day was really cloudy and actually kind of cold so we did some sightseeing and drove to a REALLY nice beach but just tried to stay warm! The second night consisted of watching the sun set at a place called "End of the World". Cliffs for dayzzzzzz.




After the sun had set, we drove back to Lagos and danced another night away at a club called Joe's garage.  For dinner I had my first Kebab (or I think it's also called Shawarma) and I think I'm in love. Molly & I have a great host mother who cooks extremely healthy but sometimes, I just need to indulge in the greasy foods. This. Was. It. 

We struggled out of our beds that last morning for another amazing breakfast, packed up and headed out to a sangria sailboat tour. It was a perfect day (minus the hangovers) and we sailed for 2 hours in the Portuguese sun, took SO many pictures, drank endless sangria and only got a little burnt. This last day was one for the books. I have never seen so much beauty!!!!!! 




 ^^ the girls from Granada on the sailboat 

We hopped on the bus and rode home for 9 hours which included two stops and a flat tire about 7 blocks away from being dropped off. At this time, it was 1am with class in only a few hours. There was nothing to do but laugh at our situation as the bus driver told all of us to move to the right side of the bus, squeeze together and he would ride it out. Miguel got us to the bus stop and we clapped.

Lagos, Portugal is one of the most gorgeous places I have ever seen. I can not believe just how lucky I am. I hope y'all decide to work your buns off and use that money on a trip somewhere special rather than on the material things. The ONLY thing I would have changed: probably should have flicked those girls on the ride to Lagos right on the ear a few times. 

One more change: bringing my loved ones from home to enjoy the weekend with us as well. This weekend made me miss home a lot, but I know I'll be back soon enough.

 Soooooooooo just come visit me, ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment