Monday, November 11, 2013

Halloween in Espana

Halloween is a completely American holiday. Every other country has an actual reason behind their festivities and celebrations, while I was caught trying to explain why the hell we even have Halloween as a major holiday....

The Latin American culture has Dia de los Muertos, where celebrate the lives of those past away. Spain has Todos los Santos, being a predominately Catholic culture, they celebrate a day for all of the Saints! Do we as Americans even have a reason to celebrate Halloween?

In all honesty, I did have a hard time explaining why Halloween is my favorite holiday. I mean I love the costumes, I love excuses to eat loads of CANDY, and getting a little scared (Only once a year though! Ask anyone, I am NOT GOOD with scary movies).

How do YOU explain "trick or treat"????? I definitely need to do my research..

So in Granada, if you ask any 'older adult' about Halloween, they basically put a sour face on and say how stupid it is. Apparently over here, the adults have NOT adopted this holiday yet. Students our age and younger kids definitely do though! Families like to dress their kids up as typical, chubby pumpkins and do the whole "trick or treat" things. Students though, its a whole 'nother ball game. THEY GO ALL OUT! My favorite part about halloween here: get as creepy as you can. If you even TRY to dress skanky, you'll look like an idiot. (This is one thing I wish our American culture would revert to. Im sick of seeing girls' butts & boobies. Your overexposure is ruining my favorite holiday!!!)

Halloween began for me when I got a box FULL of my favorite goodies from my family:

CONTENTS: A magical hat that fits a child, drawings & painting from my widdle niece Jenna, face paint, pumpkin spice granola bars, laffy taffy, chocolate kisses, MY FAVORITE PRETZEL M&MS, dried berries, Swedish Fish and of course Hocus Pocus!! Check out the box, those Charlie Brown stickers were put on by Jenna; they're from a Halloween book Teddy got her last year!!


Its always been a big holiday at the Blau's house for decorating: Our coffin made from old barn siding, a bleached cow skull that is kept in our basement the rest of the year, corn stalks wrapped in orange lights and wicked house decorations.

Clearly my prime years of cuteness were a long time ago. My cousin Alyssa (who just turned 21!!) is in the princess costume, typical ;) 


My Halloween escapes included: watched Hocus Pocus and fell asleep in a pile of candy wrappers, skipped class to go to a haunted walk (which fell through, whoops!) and got ready at our friend's Abby and Maeve's apartment for a night out!

My scary roommate Molly & scary Jeri

We were trying to be 'in character'...

The flash just made me look soooooooooooooooo creepy!!!!! I love it :)

These weirdos wanted pictures with my girls. This photo kills me though ahhahahahhahah Molly 

"No smile" Molly with Abby the biker and Maeve the sheep/mouse








No comments:

Post a Comment